Normal Maps

So everything is finished exept my normal maps, as I said before I previously tried using xNormal but while it avoided some problems the end result didn't seem as, 'clean' as with Mudbox. So I used that.

DETECTIVE
First up, yet again, the Detective.
I had quiet a few issues at first with the normal maps but fortuantly an anoyying little tickbox was the culprit, unticking this box seemed to fix the cause for the problems such as artifacts and un-sync normals. I should also say that I used Subdivision to bake my normal maps, these could only be done one model at a time, for example the Detective's jacket, shirt, hands and shoes all had to be done seperatly, then in photoshop I simply merged them all together.
Below are the final Normal Maps for the Detective:
The Normal Map for the Detective's head

The Normal Map for the Detective's body

For me to pose this character I had to first rig is, this was done using a biped in 3ds Max. I only rigged this character quickly and focused mostly on the arms and legs, as they will be the only thing that really gets posed. When all of the maps have been applied and the character was posed this is what the render looked like. I am happy to see the character finished!




STRONG ROBBER
After changing the UVs for the Strong Robber I had no major issues with the normal maps below:

The Normal Map for the Strong Robber's head

The Normal Map for the Strong Robber's body

I rigged the Strong Robber, focusing on the arms and legs as only they needed to be posed, as well as the texture maps being applied this is how the model looked, I am very pleased with the outcome.



POLICE OFFICER
The Police Officer didn't need any drastic changed to it's UVs so after the few tweaks stated earlier
the Normal Maps came out quite nice:

The Normal Map for the Police Officer's head

The Normal Map for the Police Officer's body

I rigged the Police Officer basically so that he could be posed, and after all of the texture maps had been applied this is the result I got. I am also very pleased with the outcome of this character



SMALL ROBBER
The Small Robber also didn't have many issues, if any. The head UVs were fine and only the body needed some changes so again, the normal map process was fairly quick. Here are the results:

The Normal Map for the Small Robber's head

The Normal Map for the Small Robber's body
I rigged the model very basically so that the arms and legs could be posed, and after all of the maps had been applied this was the result I got, I'm happy with the end result



No comments:

Post a Comment