Texturing

Now that I have all of the characters modelled, unwrapped and sculpted via mudbox it's time for me to bake my ambient occlusion maps. AO maps will give me a nice shading effect in all the details such as clothing creases and skin pores, this will help the detail show when texturing my characters.

I at first used xNormal for my maps, however they didn't seem to get enough of the detail I required and left the low poly model looked rather blury. I then decided to try using mudbox again but I kept getting artifacts in my normal map test. I figured out the problem was with my UVs, I had placed mirrored UVs over eachother and so they was sharing the same space and needed their own. Another Issue I came across was when the default tickbox "Smooth Source Models" was on, unticking this resolved my issues. 


DETECTIVE
First off, I started with the Detective as always. I used the high poly model in mudbox to make my AO maps. The detective's issues were resolved by unticking the smooth source models so I didn't need to change the UVs for this character.

Once I had created the AO map, I took this into photoshop and applied simple colours for the Diffuse Map.

AO Map for the Detective's head.

Diffuse Map for the Detective's head that I created in photoshop.

AO Map for the Detective's body.

Diffuse Map for the Detective's body.


STRONG ROBBER
I had some issues with seams and for the head I managed to simple select some UVs and place give them their own space, as for the body however I didn't like how I did it the first time so I completely re-unwrapped it, this didn't take too long as at this point I've had plenty of practice.




The new UV Map for the Strong Robber's head

The AO for the Strong Robber's head

The Diffuse Map for the Strong Robber's head



The new UV Map for the Strong Robber's body

The AO for the Strong Robber's body

The Diffuse Map for the Strong Robber's body


POLICE OFFICER
I did the same process for the Police Officer as I did for the Strong Robber. the Police Officer's head also only needed some UVs moving around, the same goes for the body, no other character needed another unwrapping.

The new UV Map for the Police Officer's head

The AO Map for the Police Officer's head

The Diffuse Map for the Police Officer's head



The new UV Map for the Police Officer's body

The AO Map for the Police Officer's body

The Diffuse for the Police Officer's body


SMALL ROBBER
Last again I did the same process for the Small Robber as I did the Police Officer, with none of the parts needing to be unwrapped again but simply moved around.

Because of the way this model was unwrapped and the seams were simply the neck and mask, like the detective nothing needed doin with the UV Map.

The AO Map for the Small Robber's head

The Diffuse Map for the Small Robber's head

The new UV Map for the Small Robber's body

The AO Map for the Small Robber's body

The Diffuse Map for the Small Robber's body


No comments:

Post a Comment