3ds Max

So now that I've finished all of my research I started to create a base model that I'd use for all four of the characters.

BASE MODEL
I began by creating a single polygon and started to shape a mouth.
I only created half of the mouth because I planned on using symmetry later on for the other side.


I continued this process until I had created a whole half of a head, then added in spheres for eyes and the ear separately

I then used the symmetry tool to duplicate the face, then used turbo smooth to see what my model will look like with a high poly count, this gave me a basic insight of what to expect when it's a high poly model.

I then created a simple torso that will be the base for my characters shirts and jackets

Next came the arms

And then the pants and shoes

I decided to give the arms more detail as some character will have visible arms and not all will have long sleeves

When I was happy with the arms I then modelled the hands starting with the palm, then the fingers and thumb followed

Here is my base model with half low poly and half high poly

When I was happy with my base model I decided to tweak it slightly to create a base for my slimmer characters such as the officer and the slim robber



DETECTIVE

Now that the base models have been completed to a satisfactory standard I then decided to start by making the Detective character, using the strong model base.

To begin I used a simple image of hair, changed the colour of it and added an alpha layer to create the opacity at the edges. I then added this to it's own material for the hair. Once all that was done I created half a moustache, used symmetry then attached.

I used the same process for moustache to create the detectives hair, manually shaping it around the head.

The same was also done for the eye brows. I then placed all the hair onto the base head, followed by a simple material diffuse for the skin colour.
Now for the body, I added a collar to the torso and created an opening where the chest will be visible. I deleted the back half of the shirt as it wont be visible but instead covered by a jacket. I also tweaked the pants to make them flare more at the bottom. The shoes were also edited to make them look more 'shoe-like'.

Continuing with The body I then began modelling a jacket to fit around the shirt. When the sleeved had been shaped around the arms, the arms were then deleted as they will no longer be visible.





This is how my Detective character looked low poly with all the part put together.



When I was happy with my model I decided to add simple diffuse colour to the materials to get a feel for how the final character may look.



 STRONG ROBBER

Now that I'd finished my Detective character I decided to finish my other 'Strong' character, the Strong Robber.

For the Strong Robber character I began by editing the base head to suit the characters ethnicity. I also deleted the polygons on the top of the characters head as they'll be hidden by his hair

When I was happy with his head I used turbo smooth on one side of the head, followed by a colour to see how he'd look high poly. I then created the hair as a separate model and made sure it followed closely to the head

Using the same technique I used for the Detective's hair I created sideburns to begin the facial hair

Continuing with the facial hair I did this process until completed

When I was happy with the head I moved onto the body, starting with the torso I opened it up and made it baggy to match the look of a large jacket

I then changed the arms from the base to look more like sleeves

after attaching the sleeves to the jacket I added a collar and the turtle-neck sweater underneath
With only small changes to the pants I was happy with the character so I decided to finish up by adding some colour



POLICE OFFICER
Now that the stronger characters had been completed I only had the other two to finish, I choose the Police Officer next to work on.

So as always, I started with the head and edited the slim base to make it suit the officer's oriental ethnicity

Once the head was finished I started on the characters glasses, this was done by simply creating planes around the eye area and extruding for the thickness

Here you can see the glasses if it was high poly

I then added lens to the glasses and began creating the hat. The hat was created by adding polygon planes around the circumference of the head, extruding edges until the shape was achieved

Here I added the top of the hat and added colour to the visor

I now decided to model the badge that'll be used for the hat and shirt

Here is what the finished head looks like with it's high poly counter-part

Now that the head was done I continued with the body, starting with the shirt I added a collar and modelled the sleeve around the arm

Here is the same shirt but not transparent to check the arm doesn't show through any edges

I then added the Officer's top under his shirt. This was done with only a few polygons shaped around the neck and only where visible

Here is the shirt and top with symmetry applied

I now needed to create the pockets for the shirt, I only modelled half of the pocket as the other would be copied over using symmetry

Here shows the completed pocket after been shaped to fit around the character's chest


Here is the character with all separate models put together and coloured. The pants was also edited to be more fitting rather than lose flared pants the other two characters had in common




SMALL ROBBER
Now I only had the final character, the small robber to finish. 

To begin I selected all of the faces on the head that will be used for the balaclava and then extruded them out to give it a thickness. The face was also tweaked slightly

After finished the head I moved onto the shirt, starting by added a large collar. then I made the sleeves longer than the Officer's and also pulled the end of his sleeves up

Then I added the character's visible chest under his shirt, followed by modelling his medallion

For the gloves I simply made the wrist polygons jagged as if they were the lose part of the gloves

The characters jeans were edit in a similar way to the Officer's. Here you can see the character in full
 

No comments:

Post a Comment